Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Song of the Nag

(A nag is someone who annoys others with constant, continual urging.)

There's  a very old song, I regret that I know,
This song was invented a long time ago.
I don't know who wrote, first sang it, first said it,
But needless to say, we can never forget it.

The Song of the Nag, it is spoke with no tune,
It's verses are hounding, and do not end soon.
The people described in the song should wear gags,
All because they  are awful, unstoppable nags.

This story describes an obnoxious big pain.
Just say, "stop your nagging," perhaps spoke in vain.


The person I speak of , Betilda Persuasion,
She has an opinion for every occasion.
She lives in a town known as Toasterville West.
To nag other people is what she does best.


She'd drive people nuts-o before she is through.
Now here are examples of what she would do.

She'd tell her friend Glitzey, "my gosh, you're a mess.
I know what you need, it's a polka dot dress."
Betilda tells Tellie, "wear clothing of leather,
Wherever you go and in all kinds of weather.

And then she'd nag on, she was hounding once more.
Then again and again, a monotonous bore. 


And which way or what way you care for your home.
She'll nag how to do it, from basement to dome.
 If planning a trip, she'd know which place is better,
Go here, don't go there, because there it is wetter.

She'd nag and she'd nag, she would  say it once more.
Again and again,  a monotonous bore.

****
Now  one day what happened, while eating her lunch,
With three or four people, not sure....well, a bunch.
They talked about making a holiday feast,
Gosh even one's meals, Miss Betilda policed.

Well, Gettie B. Zee , she prepares chicken stock.
By brewing it slowly in an old clay-like crock.
She'd take three small chickens, and cooks one by one.
With vegetables, barley, then simmers 'till done. 

Then Betrilda Pursuasion of course she was heard,
Saying, "nonsense, how silly, completely absurd."
Three chickens three times, you are out of your mind.
I've a three chicken pot, yes, a very huge kind."


And then she'd nag on, she was hounding once more.
Then again and again, a monotonous bore. 


" Now listen," said Getty, "I'll cook as I choose,
Whether chicken or  roast beef or vegetable stews.
"Three pots is my preference,"  said Getty B Zee.
Three chicks in a crock pot, times three, works for me.



"Oh no it does not" said Betilda the nag"  ........
"You know what, Betilda...stick your head in a bag
And leave me alone," said Ms. Getty B. Zee.
I make my decisions as suited to me."

Still again, said Betilda, 'you're out of your mind.
I'll lend you my pot, it's the biggest you'll find.
Three chickens together  tastes best and you'll find,
My pot is quite large, it's the best you will find.

And then she'd nag on, she was hounding once more.
Then again and again, a monotonous bore. 

Then Getty B. Zee was annoyed and disgusted,
But Betinda  Pursuasion was not yet nonplusted. 
She went on ' a  nagging, her usual way.
I've a three chicken pot,
which I'll lend you today.

**** 
But while she was nagging, in her low grinding tone,
She wasn't aware, all at once, she' alone.
Her lunch-mates , fed up, couldn't take it much more,
Got out of their chairs and they raced to the door. 

Did Betilda the nag learn her lesson that noon?
Perhaps she did not, but I hope she'll learn soon.
' cause Betilda Pursuasion likes having a friend.
She'll realize a nag loses pals in the end.



MORAL:  It is fine to make suggestions. But if you keep pressuring people to follow your ideas, you are nagging. Other people hate to be nagged. And since children are people, this rule fits for them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment